Here is a list of creative ways to spend time with your special someone on the most romantic day of the year in the Bay area.
These days, we need more things to celebrate, wouldn't you agree? So even if you're not the romantic type, why not do something special to celebrate your love this year? Here are a few ideas for how you might spend Valentine's Day in Pleasant Hill, Contra Costa County, and the Bay area.
1. Start Your Day With Something Sweet
Spoil your sweetheart with a sweet start to your special day. Some of the best donuts in the East Bay can be found right here in Pleasant Hill at Donut King on Contra Costa Blvd.
Every kind of pastry snob will find something to fall in love with here, from traditional cake donuts and fluffy raised donuts to crisp apple fritters, buttery croissants, and much more. If you need some protein on the side, the shop also serves breakfast sandwiches, burritos, and other items along with steaming hot cups of Joe.
If donuts aren't your thing, no worries. Check out other Pleasant Hill breakfast spots right here.
2. Get Your Hearts Pumping out in Nature
After your sweet breakfast, put that sugar and caffeine high to good use in the great outdoors. Love is good for the heart and exercise is too! In February, the Bay area is pleasantly cool but never too cold— perfect for activities such as hiking and biking. Here are a few of our favorite areas for strolling, biking, and hiking in the Bay area and around Pleasant Hill.
Dinosaur Hill Park
"Dino Hill," as it is referred to by locals, features 13 acres of open space in Pleasant Hill with stunning views of the East Bay and Mt. Diablo. Dinosaur Hill Park is a great place for strolling, hiking, and sunset watching.
The Contra Costa Canal Trail
A great place for cycling or running is the Contra Costa Canal Trail, which runs adjacent to an old irrigation canal connecting Pleasant Hill with the nearby towns of Martinez, Walnut Creek, and Concord. This 4-mile paved trail also connects to other trails, such as California State Riding and Hiking Trail, the Briones-to-Mt. Diablo Trail, the Iron Horse Trail, and the Delta De Anza Trail. For a map of the trail, click here.
Muir Woods National Monument
This extremely special spot is about an hour's drive from Pleasant Hill and the other East Bay suburbs, but if the two of you are true nature lovers, it's well worth the trip. In Muir Woods, you can join hands and stroll through an old growth coastal redwood forest, marvelling at some of the tallest and most majestic trees on the entire planet. This primeval forest serves as both a refuge and a living laboratory, where we can get back in touch with the natural landscape, ourselves, and each other.
3. Sip Your Favorite Beverages Together
If you are feeling thirsty after all that exercise, you'll be happy to know that the East Bay area offers plenty of watering holes. Check out the Contra Costa Beer Trail that runs through the East Bay area and Pleasant Hill to sample an impressive variety of local ales from brewers such as Calicraft Brewing Company and Epidemic Ales. If wine is more your thing, you are only a hop, skip, and a goblet away from Sonoma Valley Wine Country. Check out our wine-tasting blog to learn more.
5. Enjoy an Exotic Meal at a Pleasant Hill Restaurant
Your relationship isn't bland, and your food shouldn't be either! This Valentine's Day, let your tastebuds do the traveling. Turn up the culture and the flavor at an ethnic eatery.
- If you are craving Italian food, head to Melo's Pizza & Pasta for simple, rustic Calabrian meals with an extra helping of la dolce vita. This restaurant has been a Contra Costa landmark for almost 50 years, with several locations in the East Bay including one right here in Pleasant HIll.
- For some of the freshest sushi and sashimi in the East Bay, head to Jo's Honda Sushi, a family-owned Japanese restaurant with meticulous standards for food preparation and customer service as well as a lovely ambience.
- For something really different, spend the evening at El Morocco, where you'll find exotic spices, vibrant decor, and dazzling entertainment featuring Contra Costa's most talented belly dancers. When it's all over, hop on the nearest flying carpet and head home. Read on if you would like to stay the night.
6. Stay the Night in Pleasant Hill
After your full and romantic day, you need a nice, soft place to rest your head, and Pleasant Hill is here for you! Check out local lodging options here. We hope that you find lots of love and lots TO love in Pleasant Hill and the surrounding area on Valentine's Day this year.
Cheers...to the two of you.